Willie Mitchell, in a June 14, 2004 photo, sits in the booth of Royal Studios Nikki Boertman
It’s on to Royal Studio on our Sense of Place tour of Memphis today.
That’s where Al Green, Ann Peebles and others made some of the seventies most important soul music for Hi Records.
Most of that music was produced by the late Willie Mitchell. We hear a 2005 interview with Al Green – he tells the story of how Willie helped him find his voice. We also talk with Willie Mitchell’s son “Boo” who grew up at Royal . His dad told him “ Don’t turn Royal into a museum when I die.” He hasn’t. We have the pleasure of presenting the radio premier of a song from a brand new Boz Scaggs album called Memphis recorded this past fall at Royal. And R&B singer Cody ChesnuTT talks about recording his new album Landing On A Hundred at Royal using Al Green’s vocal mic.
Listen to the Spotify Playlist of Royal Studio Artist tracks:
1. Bill Black Combo - "Smokie (Par Two)"
2. Rod Stewart - "This Old Heart of Mine"
3. Al Green - "Let's Stay Together"
4. Boz Scaggs - "Your Good Thing (Is About To End)"
5. Chuck Berry - "Back To Memphis"
6. Ike & Tina Turner - "I've Been Loving You Too Long"
7. Ann Peebles – “I Can't Stand the Rain”
8. Buddy Guy - "The Price You Gotta Pay" featuring Keith Richards
9. Solomon Burke - "Nothing's Impossible"
10. Syl Johnson – “Take Me to the River”
11. Al Green – “Tired of Being Alone”
Al Green / "Tired of Being Alone" / 14 Greatest Hits
Al Green / "Let's Stay Together" / 14 Greatest Hits
Boz Scaggs/ "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" / Memphis
Cody ChestnuTT / "Till I Met Thee" / Landing on a Hundred