World Cafe’s Sense of Place series gives listeners an idea of the past and present of the local music scene and some pointers for musicians or music-lovers planning a visit. Previous editions of Sense of Place have explored such musical hotbeds as Nashville, Brazil and Argentina, New Orleans, Dublin, Toronto, Portland and others.
“I have always been a big fan of the city of bridges and tunnels so it was a joy to collaborate with WYEP on this quick visit to Pittsburgh. And the music! Listeners are going to love this show,” said World Cafe host David Dye.
Highlights of Sense of Place: Pittsburgh on December 11 include:
• Live interview and performance session with the indie band Donora, recently recorded at Pittsburgh non-commercial radio station and World Cafe affiliate WYEP-FM in November
• WYEP Morning Mix host and local music advocate Cindy Howes talks about and plays music by her top five new Pittsburgh bands
• Interview with legendary Pittsburgh record store owner Jerry Weber of Jerry’s Records
• Renowned soul singer and longtime Pittsburgh resident Billy Price selects his top five older songs from Pittsburgh, as seen through the lens of his 30-year career
• Archived World Cafe performance by Pittsburgh band Rusted Root
• Pittsburgh music selections chosen by World Cafe host David Dye
CONTACTS: Kim Winnick, WXPN /
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe® public radio's most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award-winning Kids Cornerhosted by Kathy O'Connell. WXPN also produces the XPN2 Singer-Songwriter Radio stream as its secondary radio channel in HD. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.