Holiday Music Programming Includes Eclectic New Holiday Music Stream Jingle Jams
24-hour holiday music stream launches Weds. Nov. 21 and features a mix of genres, artists and eras
Created on Monday, 19 November 2012 13:54
PHILADELPHIA, PA - The holidays will become much jingle-ier and jangle-ier when WXPN, the nationally-recognized leader in Triple A (Adult Album Alternative) music and the noncommercial radio service of the University of Pennsylvania, launches its multi-format holiday music programming on Wednesday, November 21.
WXPN's Exciting New Addition This Season is its JINGLE JAMS Stream, which Launches on Wednesday, November 21.
Billed as the "holiday mix to jingle your jangle," JINGLE JAMS can be found streaming 24/7 at xpn2.org featuring an eclectic mix of holiday music curated by Robert Drake, who also hosts WXPN's annual live, 24-hour Christmas Eve music marathon. JINGLE JAMS will also be broadcast on 88.5 HD2 and 88.7 HD2.
Bruce Warren, WXPN Assistant General Manager for Programming, said,"For our new JINGLE JAMS holiday music mix, we are spanning the decades to stream a truly eclectic mix of artists and genres, all unified by the holiday spirit and guaranteed to become everyone's favorite, round-the-clock, anti-commercial radio holiday soundtrack."
WXPN'a 2012 Holiday Music Programming Will Also Include…
- WXPN midday host and legendary local music supporter Helen Leicht will kick off the station's holiday music on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, November 22) when she blends in some holiday tunes following the annual broadcast of Arlo Guthrie's classic "Alice's Restaurant" at 12 noon.
- Leicht will also present her annual 12 Days of XPN Local Christmas during the Philly Local Pick of the Day at 1 p.m. Twelve original holiday songs from local artists such as Good Old War, Ryan Tennis, John Francis and others will be featured and available as daily downloads starting Thursday, December 6.
- On Tuesday, December 18 at 10 p.m. Leicht will host her 4th annual Philly Local Home for the Holidays special showcasing Philadelphia-based musicians performing holiday songs, including (among others) The Fractals, Aaron Brown & the York Street Hustle, and Ali Wadsworth & the Yule Logs.
- On World Cafe®, singer Tracey Thorn and her new Christmas music album, along with holiday music by Pink Martini from the archives, will be featured on Monday, December 24 (2 to 4 p.m.).
- Robert Drake will host his 19th annual 24-hour, live Night Before on XPN holiday music marathon from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on Monday, December 24, featuring special guests, in-studio performances and a chat room. Listeners can also become viewers by peeking in on Robert working in the studio (and check to see if he's still awake) via the Jingle Cam.
- On December 25, host Chuck Elliot will broadcast his annual Sleepy Hollow Christmas selection of mellow holiday music from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- On December 25, World Cafe will feature Polyphonic Spree, followed by a very special Christmas DJ: Alvin of Alvin & The Chipmunks (2 to 4 p.m.)
- WXPN's annual Year in Review will count down the station's Top 200 songs of 2012, with songs #200 to #101 starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, December 31 and the top 100 starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, January 1, 2013.
- Bruce Warren will help usher in 2013 XPN-style with his Rockin’ New Eve starting at 7 p.m. on Monday, December 31.
- Also on January 1, World Cafe host David Dye will present his 2012 picks for best performances of the year, and a look back at the World Cafe: Next artists over the last 12 months.
More information about WXPN's holiday programming can be found at www.xpn.org.
WXPN, the nationally recognized leader in Triple A radio and the premier guide for discovering new and significant artists in rock, blues, roots and folk, is the non-commercial, member-supported radio service of the University of Pennsylvania. WXPN produces World Cafe®, public radio’s most popular program of popular music hosted by David Dye and syndicated by NPR, and the Peabody Award winning Kids Corner hosted by Kathy O’Connell. WXPN also produces the alternative rock service, XPN2 as its secondary radio channel in HD. WXPN serves the greater Philadelphia area at 88.5 FM, the Lehigh Valley at 104.9, Worton/Baltimore at 90.5 FM, Lancaster/York at 88.7 FM, Harrisburg at 99.7 FM and the world via online streaming at XPN.org.