The history of Memphis music is in the walls of five studios that were there at the beginning of rock and soul music. Four of them are still there at their original addresses. You can tour two of them, Stax and Sun. Three of them are working studios: Sun, Ardent and Royal where contemporary artists still record. Alas one (American) is a parking lot. But pay a visit anyway.
- Stax Museum 926 E McLemore Ave Memphis, TN 38106 (901) 942-7685 website
- Sun Studios 706 Union Avenue Memphis, TN 38103 (901) 521-0664 website
- Ardent Studios 2000 Madison Avenue Memphis, TN 38104 (901) 725-0855 website
- Royal Studios 1320 South Lauderdale Street Memphis, TN 38106 (901) 775-3790 website
- American Studios (RIP) 827 Thomas Street in Memphis, Tennessee website