Job Description Summary
The Development Associate is an essential member of the WXPN Development Team, facilitating both member and donor communications, including select prospecting and cultivation activities, and performing a variety of administrative tasks that support the team’s ability to generate revenue from members and donors in support of the station’s non-profit public service.
The Development Associate is a capable professional with a skill set in customer service or relationship management, an interest in the role of fundraising in an organization’s overall mission, and a positive growth mindset. In addition to providing customer service and support to the Membership Manager and Associate Director of Major and Planned Giving, the Development Associate will assist with routine tasks as a critical member of the team.
The Development Associate provides support to the Membership and Major Gifts programs through dedicated assistance on specific projects as well as by performing general Development administrative tasks as outlined below.
- Under the guidance of the Membership Manager, help with routine fundraising communications, including mailings to current and former members, and stewardship activities.
- Serve as back-up coverage when volume is high on general member services email and phone communications, offering professional and friendly support to WXPN members and prospective donors by phone and email.
- Assist with drafting regular member emails, including but not limited to: weekly e-news; credit card recapture emails; specialized fundraising-specific emails; stewardship emails; as guided by the Development Coordinator.
- Maintain a dynamic inventory of all premiums, both on-site and as reported by Forest (warehoused). Centralize details of all premium expenses as invoiced in a single document/file.
Major Gifts and Planned Giving
- Overseen by the Associate Director of Major and Planned Giving, handle basic communications for donors including pledge reminders, renewal mailings, and the donor acknowledgement letter process including: drafting; seeking appropriate review and approval; signature; mailing; and entry into the CRM when complete.
- Provide support for donor events and Free At Noon concerts, including: helping to pull lists of constituents for invitees; draft any invitation material; track RSVPs and queries; day-of event staffing.
- Handle one-off stewardship mailings, such as Leadership Circle welcome packages; special notes from on-air hosts to high level donors; individualized thank yous.
- Serve as Planned Giving assistant, participating in all aspects of planning and execution as the program is launched. Specific tasks include: help pulling prospect lists; sending welcome packages; tracking donors with interest; individual follow up as directed by the Director of Major and Planned Giving or the Director of Development.
- Review and respond to RSVPs, messages, and questions directed to the Giving dedicated email.
Development Administrative Support
- Maintain the accuracy and integrity of a sophisticated CRM system by ensuring that all donor information is kept current and up to date.
- Assist the Development team during on-air member drives.
- Assist the Director of Development with basic administrative tasks and projects as requested.
- Pro-actively participate in development strategies, membership initiatives, and regular team meetings.
- Serve as primary back-up when Receptionist/Development Operations Associate is unavailable for reception duties such as collecting mail and deliveries; welcoming guests; and answering the phone and general/member emails.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor whether speaking to others in person, over the phone, or via email.
- Ability to be self-directed and take ownership of their responsibilities.
- Understanding of basic administrative software (Microsoft Office, Adobe)
- Displays good judgment and diplomacy skills in working with various levels of both internal and external stakeholders.
- An interest in Development and its impact on the overall health of an organization
- Familiarity with Salesforce CRM
- Experience working in customer service, development, or fundraising
- Ability to multi-task with solid organizational and time-management skills
- A passion for music
Job Location – City, State
Department / School