Washed Out makes a video mixtape (playing Union Transfer on Thursday)
Washed Out, the musical project of Atlanta, GA’s Ernest Greene returns to Philly tomorrow evening, Thursday, April 19th to perform at Union Transfer with Memoryhouse opening up the show. Last year Washed Out released the electonica album Within and Without on Sub Pop records. Last November, 2011 he visited World Cafe with David Dye; you can listen to the entire session here. Currently out on tour, we asked Ernest to come up with a “video” mixtape with six songs that were influential on him. His response below came via e-mail.
1. 10cc, “I’m Not in Love” – Really love the texture created by the vocal pads as well as the simplicity of the arrangement.
2. Koushik, “Be With” – Love this sample-based track by Koushik. Really liked his vocal approach – which was really different for a Stones Throw records signee.
3. DJ Shadow, “Midnight in a Perfect World” – Love the heavy, psychedelic weight of all the DJ Shadow stuff – and the arrangements / textures are really inventive.
4. Boards of Canada, “Olson” – Boards of Canada make a different kind of electronic music – that really breathes and mutates in a very organic way.
5. Grouper, “Heavy Water/I’d Rather Be Sleeping” – Grouper’s vocal approach was very influential for me – I love all her records.
6. Supermax, “Ain’t Gonna Feel” – Love the atmosphere of this track – and love the mid-tempo BPM – really different kind of track for a band known for huge disco burners.